The Commission Delegated Regulation 2019/1755 of 8 August 2019 amending the Annexes to Regulation (EC) No 1059/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the establishment of a common classification of territorial units for statistics (NUTS) (OJ L 270, 24.10.2019, p. 1–56) was published on 24 October 2019 in the Official Journal of the European Union. This regulation is the result of the fifth round of revision of the common Classification of Territorial Units for Statistics (NUTS), known as the NUTS 2021 revision (until the previous revision round, i.e. the NUTS 2016 revision, the year in the revision name was the year in which work on the revision was started, since the NUTS 2021 revision it has been the year in which the revision enters into force). During this revision round, modifications of the statistical units of 9 then EU Member States (i.e. together with the United Kingdom) were made. These modifications include either changes in the number of NUTS units or only in unit boundaries or names, without altering the number of units.
Statistical division of Poland
During the NUTS 2021 round of revision, no changes related to the statistical division of Poland have occurred. The NUTS division determined during the 2016 revision is still valid, i.e. into 7 NUTS level 1 macroregions, 17 NUTS level 2 regions and 73 NUTS level 3 subregions.
Changes adopted in statistical divisions of other EU countries
Changes introduced by the NUTS 2021 revision apply to eight other European Union countries and the United Kingdom - in three of them at the NUTS level 1, in two of them at the NUTS level 2 and in four of them at the NUTS level 3.
- Belgium: the boundaries of six NUTS level 3 units were changed, two NUTS level 3 units were abolished, two NUTS level 3 units were created, and the name of one NUTS level 3 unit was changed;
- Croatia: the number of NUTS level 2 units increased from 2 to 4;
- Czechia: the name of one NUTS level 1 unit was changed;
- Estonia: the boundaries of two NUTS level 3 units were changed;
- France: the names of four NUTS level 1 units were changed;
- Greece: the name of one NUTS level 3 unit was changed;
- Italy: the change of division into NUTS level 3 units in Sardinia – the previous division into 8 units was replaced by the division into 5 units;
- Spain: the names of three NUTS level 2 units were changed;
- United Kingdom (when the NUTS 2021 revision entered into force, the country has already been outside the EU): the boundaries of nine NUTS level 3 units were changed.
Furthermore, the NUTS level 1 unit names spelling was changed: instead of capital letters (all caps) normal writing is used as for NUTS level 2 and NUTS level 3 unit names.
The number of NUTS units in the EU Member States according to the NUTS 2021 revision
|Country||NUTS 1||NUTS 2||NUTS 3|